Thursday, June 14, 2012

Highs & Lows

My dad offered to drive me out to the dentist in Middleton this morning.   I filled out the paperwork and was seen very quickly.   The assistant took my blood pressure and went off to see the dentist.  The dentist didn't even say hello -- it was, "Did you take your blood pressure medication today?"  Um, no, I don't have any.

It turns out that my blood pressure was 164/112, and she wouldn't be able treat me in that condition.  I semi-joked that I was afraid of the dentist, so toward the end of our discussion she decided to take it again to see how much I had calmed down.  Nope, apparently not.  This time it was 180/114.   Whoops!

So Dad ran me back to Boise so I could take Chris to his cardiac rehab.   While I waited, I called my doctor's office and they couldn't get me in until July 19th.  They said I could try calling every morning at 8am to see if there were any cancellations.  Great.

Immediately following rehab, we went to DaVita for his appointment.   His blood pressure was very low again and, while Dr. Mallea was in the room, I joked that he could borrow some of mine since it's 180/114.  Oh boy.  Dr. Mallea did not like that one bit.  He said, "You don't want to become one of my patients, do you?  That needs to be handled immediately!"  Okay, so the appointment in July isn't going to cut it.

Dr. Mallea and Jen evaluated Chris' catheter site and said it still looked like it might have an infection, so they put Chris on another week of Cephalexin antibiotics twice a day.  It had also been leaking a little bit of blood there, so they're concerned that Chris might be over-doing it at rehab.

When I was at my dental appointment this morning, I noticed a "Medical" check-in window right next to the "Dental" window.  I called out there, and they said they could get me in on Saturday morning.  Garage sales out, Doctor's appointment in.

No comments: